The easiest way to connect to accounting data
Less than to read
The Sage Network API provides a convenient way to build products for the financial technology industry. Using the Sage Network API, your developers can create powerful applications that work across many different accounting systems, all while working with a simple REST API.
Here’s how to get started.
Take a tour of the API
Take a quick tour of the Sage Network API with this short demo on YouTube. Once you’re done, you can create a Free Developer Account or download Sage Network API SDKs in your favorite programming language.
Create a free developer account and try the API
Let’s begin by creating a free developer account on the sandbox environment. You can begin by visiting the Provision Free Developer Account page to create an API key. This API key will allow you to work with example data on the Sandbox environment. Because this account is on the “sandbox” environment, you can experiment with it without affecting your production data.
Check out your API data in Sage Network Inbox
The Sage Network API also provides Sage Network Inbox, a free online service that helps you visualize financial data and keep track of your accounting team’s work. Sage Network Inbox can link with your financial system and your email provider and track inquiries about AP and AR actions for your team. Contact us at [email protected]
Once you have created an Sage Network Inbox account, you can create an API Key for your account using this developer site. That API key will connect to the “production” environment for the Sage Network API and will allow you to work with your company’s financial data.
Check out the example applications for ideas
Sage Network provides example applications showing many different ways to use the Sage Network API SDKs to build features on top of your accounting or financial system’s data.
Examples of apps might include the following:
- A credit score company might create an app to analyze new customers as they are added to the platform.
- A lending company might analyze new invoices and offer factorization services.
- A consulting company might create a connector to a new accounting system.
Developers of these apps can construct them as hooks that are triggered for specific events. When a user of the Sage Network clicks the button “Sync with my ERP system,” the Sage Network API will contact your app’s webhook URL and request that you perform the requested action. You can then deliver the resulting data back to Sage Network.
Want to create a standalone app?
You can use the Sage Network API to build an app that has its own user interface. Apps such as this are not visible on the Sage Network Marketplace unless you wish them to be discoverable.
For developers constructing a standalone app, Sage Network provides a custom onboarding experience:
- A customer visits your website and begins the signup process.
- You call a Sage Network API to initiate an onboarding session, and you receive back a session ID.
- You redirect your guest to the Sage Network onboarding page, passing in the session ID.
- When the guest completes the Sage Network onboarding experience, we return back to your URL and deliver you an API key that can be used to communicate with this customer’s data.
That’s all there is! You can then make use of the Sage Network API to interact with the customer’s data and to provide services.